What Does Merseyside Mean to You? – The Beatles, The Cavern Club, Penny Lane. Well yes but there’s some real history there as well so read on and discover!
MERSEYSIDE – Liverpool – the Liver Building, Pier Head, Albert Dock, The Walker Gallery and the Beatles; Crosby’s beach-bound sculptures, Another Place; Speke Hall Garden and Estate; the Southport Flower Show; Knowsley Safari Park; Port Sunlight Village and Heritage Centre and Freshfields Nature Reserve and its red squirrels.
Situated on the eastern side of the Mersey Estuary, and historically lay within the ancient hundred of West Derby in the southwest of the county of Lancashire.
Its growth as a major port was paralleled by the expansion of the city throughout the Industrial Revolution. Along with handling general cargo, freight, and raw materials such as coal and cotton, the city merchants were involved in the Atlantic slave trade.
In the 19th century, it was a major port of departure for Irish and English emigrants to North America. Liverpool was home to both the Cunard and White Star Line, and was the port of registry of the ocean liner RMS Titanic, the RMS Lusitania, RMS Queen Mary, and RMS Olympic.
Liverpool is noted for its culture, architecture, and transport links. It is closely associated with the arts, particularly music, and the popularity of the Beatles (who are regarded as the most influential band in history) contributed to the city’s status as a tourist destination.
Since then, the city has continued to produce hundreds of notable musical acts—musicians from Liverpool have produced 56 No. 1 singles, more than any other city in the world.
Liverpool also has a long-standing reputation as the origin of countless actors and actresses, artists, comedians, journalists, novelists, poets, and sportspeople. The city has the second-highest number of art galleries, national museums, and listed buildings in the United Kingdom, with only London having more.
In sports, it is best known for being the home of Premier League football clubs Liverpool and Everton; matches between the two are known as the Merseyside Derby and are quite electic with passions eunning very high whenever they take place.
The Grand National takes place annually at Aintree Racecourse.
Several areas of the city centre were granted World Heritage Site status by UNESCO . The city celebrated its 800th anniversary in 2007, and was named the 2008 European Capital of Culture together with the Norwegian city of Stavanger.
Natives and residents of the city of Liverpool are referred to formally as Liverpudlians, but most often as Scousers, a reference to “scouse”, a form of stew. The word “Scouse” has also become synonymous with the Liverpool accent and dialect.
Speke Hall is a wood-framed wattle-and-daub Tudor manor house in Speke, Liverpool, It is one of the finest surviving examples of its kind. It is owned by the National Trust and is a Grade I listed building.
Construction of the current building began under Sir William Norris in 1530though earlier buildings had been on the site, parts of which are incorporated into today’s structure.
The Great Hall was the first part of the house to be built, in 1530. The Great (or Oak) Parlour wing was added in 1531.
Around this time the North Bay was also added to the house. Between 1540 and 1570 the south wing was altered and extended. The west wing was added between 1546 and 1547. The last significant change to the building was in 1598, when the north range was added by Edward Norris. Since then there have only been minor changes to the Hall and gardens.The oak frame, typical of the period, rests on a base of red sandstone surrounded by a now dry moat. The main beams of the house are stiffened with smaller timbers and filled with wattle and daub.
During the turmoil of the Reformation the Norris’s were Roman Catholics so the house incorporated a priest hole and a special observation hole built into a chimney in a bedroom to allow the occupant to see the approach to the house to warn the priest that people were coming.
There is also an eavesdrop (a small open hole under the eaves of the house) which allowed a servant to listen in on the conversations of people awaiting admission at the original front door.In 1612 a porch was added to the Great Parlour. A laundry and dairy were founded in 1860; the laundry was altered in the 1950s.
The house was owned by the Norris family for many generations Richard Watt, a Liverpool merchant, purchased the house and estate .
The last surviving heir of the Watt family was Miss Adelaide Watt, who inherited the house She died in 1921, leaving the house and estate in trust for 21 years, during which time it was looked after by the staff under the supervision of Thomas Whatmore, the house then passed into the ownership of the National Trust.
The gardens date from the 1850s. In the courtyard of the main building are two ancient yew trees, male and female, called ‘Adam’ and ‘Eve’. First recorded in correspondence dating to 1712, they are estimated to be at least 500 years old
is a model village and suburb in the Wirra. It was built by Lever Brothers to accommodate workers in its soap factory (now part of Unilever); work commenced in 1888. The name is derived from Lever Brothers’ most popular brand of cleaning agent Sunlight.
Port Sunlight contains 900 Grade II listed buildings, and was declared a Conservation Area in 1978.Port Sunlight has been informally suggested for World Heritage Site status to protect it from development and to preserve the unique character for future generations.
In 1887, Lever Brothers began looking for a new site on which to expand its soap-making business, which was at that time based in Warrington. The company bought 56 acres of flat unused marshy land in Cheshire, south of the River Mersey. It was large enough to allow space for expansion, and had a prime location between the river and a railway line. The site became Port Sunlight, where William Lever built his works and a model village to house his employees.
William Lever personally supervised planning the village,and employed nearly thirty different architects. Between 1899 and 1914, 800 houses were built to house a population of 3,500.
The garden village had allotments and public buildings including
the Lady Lever Art Gallery (pictured above), a cottage hospital, schools, a concert hall, open air swimming pool, church, and a temperance hotel. Lever introduced welfare schemes, and provided for the education and entertainment of his workforce, encouraging recreation and organisations which promoted art, literature, science or music.
Thanks so much for reading our blog – we hope you’ve enjoyed it!
Remember we are here to help, feel free to contact us
Thanks once again
Bed & Breakfast Nationwide
Call us: 01255 672377